Sunday, February 17, 2008

Death of HD-DVD

I haven't posted for a while but I promise I have been thinking about it. I'm sure there'll be a few posts in a short space of time.

I saw this today. Apparently Toshiba have stopped production of their high definition disk format. I have always been a big supporter of Blu Ray (this may be due to my rather fan boy-ish relationship with Sony), so this news couldn't have come fast enough. I have been keeping an eye on this format war since day one and I always thought the situation was a real problem. No one had any idea which format was going to win and all that has happened is we have a few million people with a rather expensive upscaling DVD player... oh well, hopefully this will lead to the low cost brands such as Goodmans and Alba making a series of cheap (but a bit crap) players like we have seen with LCD TVs and the format can really start to displace DVD.

Now I just need to see the PS3 dropping below £200 and I'll be happy to pick up a Blu Ray player...

No comments: