Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hypnagogic States

Every month from May to August The Cure released a new single on the 13th. The Singles were The Only One, Freak Show, Sleep When I'm Dead and The Perfect Boy. Now I wrote my thoughts on The Only One  back in May when it was released but I didn't get round to writing anything about the other songs. All were a good listen but it was The Perfect Boy that made me wish it was the 29th of October so I could hear the new album (Dream 4:13).

In September they released an E.P., Hypnagogic States which includes remixes of all four singles and one mash up, as it were, by 65DaysofStatic - a band who have already reserved £8 of my first pay packet to buy an album. 

I'm not usually a big fan of remix albums as remixes seldom live up to the original. Hynagogic States is like that in a way. A little of their Cure-ness is lost in the translation but overall they are all still great songs. The Perfect Boy would still be amazing if Robert Smith sang it over the sound of tortured kittens.

The final mash up track, Exploding Head Syndrome, is slightly different. At 21 minutes long it almost feels like Godspeed You Black Emperor if they went a bit disco. As it bears so little resemblance to the original material, Exploding Head Syndrome holds up as its own piece. I would expect little else from one of my future favourite bands.

Not bad for £3.99.

No comments: