Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Cure - The Only One

Apologies for the lack of updates recently. I'm moving house in two weeks and going on holiday in three so I have been completely rushed off my feet. I am therefore a few days late with my opinions on the new Cure single. 

First off, I must say that I was a little annoyed that I preordered the single a week before it's tuesday release date and it didn't reach me until thursday.  That's two days that I had to resist spending £1.5o on iTunes or going the morally dubious route of bittorrent. I resisted in the end as I wanted my first listen to be the CD through my pretty decent stereo. 

I have now had the opportunity to give the single and it's B-side, NY Trip, a few listens and have formed a few initial opinions. Firstly, The Only One is definitely closer to The Cure's later efforts such as High from the Wish album. It's an uplifting love song with (surprisingly due to the recent line up change) a dreamy, Cure-esque keyboard track underlying the chorus. Robert Smith wails over a more rocky guitar sound and the tempo keeps up throughout the entire track. It's a song that grows on you, although it never really started out bad.

Of course, this is all coming from a deeply devoted Cure fan who dislikes very few songs in their back catalogue, so I wouldn't take too much notice of this little review. 

This week I have also been listening Nine Inch Nail's new album that they released free of change. It seems to be following their recent trend of moving into more guitar driven music which I'm a little disappointed about. The earlier albums that consisted mainly of programmed loops sounded a great deal more original than the more generic rock/metal albums released over the last few years. Oh well, at least it was free.

No comments: